Never Give Up On Your Dream!

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mirror Mirror On The Wall Who's The Scaredest Of Them All?

I am sure that my mirror would say that all who live in North America affected by this economy are. Big giants such as Boeing and Microsoft have already laid off thousands upon thousands of employees already and there's yet another wave of lay offs to come in the near future. Starbucks is laying off thousands and closing many of their franchises all over.

Before any news of warning of all of this came out, we were already burdened with an unemployment rate that does not match up to the old ideology of the good ole US of A being the land of opportunity. I beg to differ. Being a divorced, born and raised American woman who chose to put her educational and career growth aside to be a stay at home mother in the midst of this grossly failing economy, I am struggling to survive and using up my only modest source of income while praying with everything inside of me to land that miracle job.

The question that screams inside my head is, if the government does not know the solution needed to fix this dysfunctional economy so that those with educational backgrounds and work history can protect their livelihood, how are we who are just trying to enter the work force going to secure an income to protect our livelihoods? This is absolutely the most fearful time for us all who are now living out the economic nightmare that this country is going through, instead of the American dream!

To be honest, I am not sure anymore what is the most paralyzing factor in America. The economy or the fear factor everyone's going through. All I know is that we have reached an era that if you are the type that enjoys being an island to yourself, you will not make it through this economic crisis. For now is the time that everyone has to lay aside their differences for other fellow human beings and start working with the other as a community in any way possible.

It may get to the point for many of us, that we will have to return to the historical way of life. Families might have to end up living together again, sharing household financial and practical every day responsibilities. We might end up using the tried and true barter system, where the community traded their time for goods and visa verse. Even more, paying it forward by just reaching out to another in need, so they can get ahead, which can allow them to reach out to the next person in need. These are all viable and workable ways to not only survive, but to thrive in this economical nightmare.

I try so hard to take the high road and remain positive so that I am not paralyzed by my own fear, which can prevent me from moving me towards my American dream. I limit my television watching, reading the Business part of the newspapers and listening to a radio station when the discussion is about our economic crash. For what good is it to have that barrage of negativity hitting me on a daily basis, when my energy can best be used focusing on the positive ways I can change my personal situation. But, it's hard to get away from that negativity and escape my inner fears of doom, when I go out and see the expression of despair on the faces of people I come across.

I used to think that the United States of America had to fix this malfunctioning system before we the people lose everything we hold of value. I am not so sure that this is going to fix us anymore. Perhaps, we have become a spoiled nation, that's been taking our riches for granted way too long, to the point of thinking we could go to our death beds unscathed by calamity. Maybe what's really got to happen, is that we as Americans have to lose everything we have before we finally figure out the solution to fix our economical problem.

I may not have all the answers, but I do know something has to be fixed no matter what.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    Thanks for posting to my blog. As I read what you've written above, it is an echo of what I've been hearing for a year now, why I started writing my blog (on the Seattle PI) 6 months ago. No matter where I went, when I mentioned being out of work, I would hear stories similar to me, or different, but the fear was the same.

    SOmething about knowing that others are in the same boat is comforting, although I don't really know why. Hang in there, Amanda. Keep speaking your mind and experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for wandering over here and commenting to my blog.

    What's weird about the comfort of knowing others are in the same boat as me, is that it validates my worthiness, which is barely hanging on by a thin thread these days.

    Speaking my mind is the only thing I can do for now, that comes easy to me, just wish I got paid for it.

    ReplyDelete